David’s monthly Random Ramblings

29/08/2007

Recruit for skills and train for attitude.

In his comment on last week’s Random Ramble, Trevor Gay expressed the view that employers would be well served by recruiting for attitude and training for skills. In other words, put more emphasis on a ‘can do attitude’ and a willingness to learn, rather than on academic qualifications. Neither Trevor nor I would suggest that we should do anything to discourage academic study or gaining qualifications, but we are in agreement that a piece of paper to say that you have passed an exam doesn’t necessarily mean that you can apply that learning in the workplace.

When I look back over a long career at the people who have impressed me, they are fairly well spread across the range of academic achievement. The reason that they have impressed is that they have always been willing to have a go, they haven’t worried too much about whether it is strictly within their job remit or what the rules might dictate. In short, they have been flexible, helpful and easy to work with.

Sometimes to get things done it is necessary to make the request through senior people as those at a more junior level are unwilling to move without the right approval. But several times I have encountered the reverse. I can recall chairing project review meetings when I have heaved a sigh of relief that the senior person didn’t attend but sent a deputy instead. The deputy might have been young and/or inexperienced but I knew that they would deliver whatever might be required.

One of the pleasures of my career has been to see how young people have developed and blossomed. Of course, some arrive full of confidence and seemingly with no concern for their limitations. In fact the danger is that they don’t see those limitations and charge in regardless, which can have unfortunate consequences. But equally, some are extremely nervous or shy when asked to step onto the ‘big stage’. I can well remember a few meetings in my earlier career when I was asked to deputise for more senior colleagues. I also remember that the attitude of the meeting chairman made a significant difference to the enjoyment or otherwise of the experience.

On one occasion I was a deputy for a deputy - in other words, well out of my league in terms of seniority. The meeting was in the office of a very senior director. I took my place and introduced myself. The great man smiled and said, “Yes, I know who you are David.” I have no idea whether he did or not, but as you can imagine, I immediately felt much more comfortable and relaxed.

So in later years I always tried to make the young or inexperienced feel at ease and to try to ensure that they understood what was required of them. I believe that it is also important to understand the tensions and pressure within their particular departments and not to make unreasonable demands; if necessary offering to talk to their bosses to facilitate their task. I also believe that it is important to feed back to senior management if someone is doing a particularly good job. In large organisations, people you work with often have a much better idea of your strengths or weaknesses than your boss.


So yes, I agree that a good attitude to work and to learning is vitally important, but equally, those of us who are older and, hopefully, more experienced need to ensure that we provide encouragement and the right climate to allow the young and not so young people to flourish at school, at college or university and in the workplace.


David Wike


You can read Trevor Gay's blog at www.simplicityitk.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Trevor Gay said...

Amen and well said David - needless to say I agree with every word.

This is as much about mindset as anything else. If people are given encouragement and have some confidence themselves they can do almost anything. If there is a ‘box’ that says ‘you need a certain qualification to do something’ then immediately there is a barrier that puts some people off.

I’ve often said the only thing that passing exams proves is that you can pass exams. And that from me a person who has passed my fair share of exams.

Like you David – I don’t have a downer on people with qualifications per se but I equally believe qualifications are over rated.

One of my favourite Tom Peters quotes is

'Powerlessness is a state of mind not a state of reality'